Friday, May 10, 2013

An itty-bitty tick...

...can fell a grown man!

Yep!  You read that right!  A teensy-tiny tick put my  250-lb. husband into ICU for 4 days!

My hubby was sick all day last Friday.  In the wee hours of Saturday morning, he was unable to get out of bed and threw up on himself, although not quite on me.  Enough got onto my arm that I woke up.  I jumped out of bed and rushed around to help him to the bathroom.

The poor man could not even sit up, and I could NOT pull him up!  I got a pan for him to be sick in and a fresh t-shirt, and washed him up as best as I could.  I tried once more to get him up, and he was able to get to his feet, but could not make it all the way into the bathroom.  Got him back to the bed just before his legs gave out, and he fell back into the bed.

I called an ambulance.

The EMTs couldn't figure out what was wrong, but agreed that he should go to the hospital to get checked out.  Hubby said he wasn't going to the hospital.  We argued for a few minutes before I told him that if he stayed home, he'd be lying in the mess he made because I could NOT help him up.  One of the EMTs finally talked him into going to the hospital.

We got to the hospital just before 5 a.m. and were in the ER until after 2:30 p.m.  Late in the evening, after getting him settled into a room, I went home to get his PJs and toiletries.  Since it's a 47 mile trip to the hospital, I was going to sleep at home and go back in the morning.

Sunday morning, a nurse called me and told me that his blood pressure had dropped dangerously low and that he had experienced some confusion, so he had been moved to ICU.  I hustled myself out the door and to the hospital.

He was a little better, and was stable by the time I got there.  However, his kidneys stopped functioning.  He has had 3 sessions of dialysis now, although his kidneys have started working again.  The dialysis is to help rid his body of infection caused by a tick bite.

Oh!  And, he has an active bone infection in his foot!  He is a diabetic with neuropathy in his feet, and has had two occasions where he had injuries to his feet that resulted in both a staph infection and the bone infection.  Apparently, the tick bite woke up the dormant bone infection!

It's been a long, rough week for my sweet hubby, and I'm kind of pooped, too!

Needless to say, that is why there has been no sewing or vinyling going on this week!

As soon as I get him home, the ol' sewing machine will get going, as I have three orders to fill.

Have a blessed Mother's Day!

Peggy

No comments:

Post a Comment